Last Updated: April 26, 2020
- Information collected through mediums other than our Services;
- Information collected by any person or entity other than us, even if related to our Services (such as a third-party website, application, widget or lead form).
Information We Collect and Receive About You
We might receive or collect several types of information about you, such as the information described below.
Information You Provide
The following are situations in which you may provide Your Information to us:
- When you fill out forms or fields through our Services;
- When you sign up for any newsletters or other materials, or other products and services through our Services;
- When you provide information to us through a third-party application, service or website;
- When you communicate with us or request information about us or our Services, whether via email or other means;
- When you participate in online surveys;
- When you participate in any of our marketing initiatives, including, contests, events, or promotions; and
- When you participate in forums or provide user-generated content or submissions.
Information Third Parties Provide. We may collect information about you from sources other than you, such as from social media websites (i.e., Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter or others), other users and our business partners.
General Use and Preference Information. We may collect, receive and store information regarding your general use of our Services (such as details of how and when you used our Services, interactions with our Services, log in information, resources that you access, your Internet protocol address, your browser type, and your device type), as well as your preferences.
Device Information. When you use our Services through your computer, mobile phone or other device, we may collect information regarding and related to your device, such as hardware models and IDs, device type, operating system version, the request type, the content of your request and basic usage information about your use of our Services, such as date and time. In addition, we may collect information regarding application-level events and associate that with your account to provide customer service. We may also collect and store information locally on your device using mechanisms such as browser web storage and application data caches.
Location Information. If you enable the collection of location information on your device, then we may collect information about your actual location, such as your mobile device’s GPS coordinates. We may also use other technologies to determine your location (such as through the location of nearby Wi-Fi access points or cell towers), or obtain your location information from third parties.
Phone Numbers. We may collect your phone number in several ways. For example, we may collect your phone number: (i) if you submit your phone number to us through our Services; (ii) by capturing your phone number if you call us; or (iii) if a third party provides your phone number to us.
Technologies such as cookies, beacons, tags and scripts are used by us and our partners, affiliates, advertisers, analytics teams, or service providers. These technologies are used in analyzing trends, administering the site, tracking users’ movements around the site and to gather demographic information about our user base as a whole. We may receive reports based on the use of these technologies by these companies on an individual as well as aggregated basis.
We use Local Storage Objects (LSOs) such as HTML5 Storage to store content information and preferences. Third parties with whom we partner to provide certain features on our site or to display advertising based upon your Web browsing activity use LSOs such as HTML5 Storage to collect and store information.
Network Advertising From time to time, we may participate in, partner with, or use advertising networks, such as third-party advertising servers, advertising agencies, technology vendors and research firms. For example, we use Google AdSense to publish ads on our Services. When you view or click on an ad, a cookie will be set to help better provide advertisements that may be of interest to you on this and other Web sites. In addition, we may use third-party advertising networks to serve advertisements to you on our Web site, or to manage our advertising on other sites. Our third party partners may use technologies such as cookies to gather information about your activities on this site and other sites in order to provide you advertising based upon your browsing activities and interests. This practice is often referred to as “online behavioral advertising.” Please see the “Online Behavioral Advertising” subsection of Choices About How We Use and Collect Your Information below to read about how you can prevent certain third-party advertising networks from collecting information about you.
How We Secure Your Information
Our web servers support the TLS and Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) transport and encryption protocols. The purpose of these protocols is to keep the information passed back and forth between a web server and its users confidential. In addition, we use cipher suites that offer at minimum 112 bit encryption. We work to protect personally identifiable information stored on the site’s servers from unauthorized access using industry standard computer security products, such as firewalls, as well as carefully developed security procedures and practices. In addition, a username, member ID name and password are required for you to use, view or change application or interview information. We use both internal and external resources to review the adequacy of our security measures on a regular basis.
How We Use Information
We may make Use of Your Information for various lawful business purposes. Among others, these purposes may include using Your Information to:
- Engage in customer support. For example, we might confirm and complete transactions requested by you, verify information you provide to us and provide you with administrative notices.
- Contact you and provide you with information. For example, we might provide or contact you through telephone, email, postal or other communications with Service updates, promotional materials, surveys, offers, quotes, personalized information and other information from us or our business partners.
- Analyze, improve and manage our Services and operations. For example, we might obtain feedback regarding our Services, understand and anticipate your needs and preferences, better understand your use of our Services, customize and tailor Service content and advertising, improve our marketing and promotional efforts, engage in statistical analysis and provide feedback to our vendors, advert
How We Disclose Information
We may disclose Your Information:
- As a referral agent, and in states where applicable (including California and Oregon), SeniorHousingNet.com is a mandated reporter of suspected and known elder abuse. As such, SeniorHousingNet.com may release your name, phone number, address, and other information you’ve shared with us to the state authorities in cases of suspected or known elder abuse;
- To any person who, in our reasonable judgment, is authorized to receive Your Information as your agent, including as a result of your business dealings with that person (for example, your attorney);
- To our third-party vendors so that they may provide support for our internal and business operations, including for the handling of data processing, data verification, data storage, surveys, research, internal marketing, delivery of promotional, marketing and transaction materials, and our Services’ maintenance and security. These companies are authorized to Use Your Information only as necessary to provide these services to us and are contractually obligated to keep Your Information confidential;
- To third parties when you use our Services to obtain a quote, services, or information from one or more of those third parties (e.g. a senior living community in connection with your completion of an information request form) (“Service Providers”), such as by clicking “Find Cost Information” or other similar buttons at the end of a form, and we may be compensated in connection with such disclosure;
- To third parties that are interested in contacting you or providing offers to you that may be related to our Services or about products or services you may find of interest, and we may be compensated for such disclosure;
- As required by law or ordered by a court, regulatory, or administrative agency;
- As we deem necessary, in our sole discretion, if we believe that you are violating any applicable law, rule or regulation, or are otherwise interfering with another’s rights or property, including, without limitation, our rights or property;
- If requested by authorities in the event of any act of terrorism or instance of local, regional or national emergency;
- To enforce or protect our rights;
- In connection with a Business Transfer, as defined below (see Business Transfers below); and
- To our affiliated companies (i.e., companies under common control or management with us).
If you do not want Your Information shared as described above, then you should not provide us with Your Information.
Requests for Quotes, Information and Services from Service Providers and Consent to Automatic Telephone Dialing System.
As noted above, we may share Your Information with Service Providers when you use our Services to obtain or request a quote, services or information from one or more third parties (an “Inquiry”). The Service Providers we may share Your Information with may be determined subsequent to your Inquiry (e.g. after you talk to a family advisor or by an automated matching algorithm). IF YOU SUBMIT AN INQUIRY, SERVICE PROVIDERS MAY CONTACT YOU DIRECTLY VIA MAIL, TELEPHONE, TEXT MESSAGE, FAX, EMAIL AND OTHER MEANS OF COMMUNICATION. IN ORDER TO ASSIST YOU IN FINDING SENIOR CARE, YOU MAY RECEIVE CALLS FROM OUR FAMILY ADVISORS OR SERVICE PROVIDERS AS A CONSEQUENCE OF SUBMITTING AN INQUIRY THROUGH OUR SERVICES. BY SUBMITTING AN INQUIRY, YOU CONSENT AND AGREE THAT WE AND OUR PARTNERS AND SERVICE PROVIDERS MAY CONTACT YOU, VIA TELEPHONE CALL, TEXT, OR FAX WITH AN AUTOMATIC TELEPHONE DIALING SYSTEM OR PRERECORDED OR ARTIFICIAL VOICE FOR TELEMARKETING PURPOSES AT THE TELEPHONE NUMBER YOU PROVIDED, EVEN IF YOUR TELEPHONE NUMBER IS ON A “DO NOT CALL” LIST. THIS CONSENT IS NOT REQUIRED TO OBTAIN OUR OR OUR PARTNERS’ SERVICES OR PRODUCTS AND YOU MAY OPT OUT AT ANY TIME. CALL OR TEXT FREQUENCY VARIES. MESSAGE AND DATA RATES MAY APPLY. TELEPHONE COMMUNICATIONS BETWEEN YOU AND US MAY BE RECORDED OR MONITORED FOR QUALITY CONTROL PURPOSES. BY PROVIDING INFORMATION TO US, YOU EXPRESSLY CONSENT TO THE RECORDING OF THESE TELEPHONE COMMUNICATIONS.
If you are matched with Service Providers, you expressly consent to the Service Providers conducting any research necessary to provide you with information related to your Inquiry. Service Providers may need to share Your Information to conduct such research. If you do not want Service Providers to conduct necessary research to provide you with information for your Inquiry, then you should not submit an Inquiry.
Please note that if you submit an Inquiry through our Services and we share Your Information as described above in connection with your Inquiry, you will not have the opportunity to opt out of the disclosure of Your Information in connection with that Request.
Aggregation and De-Personalization. We may take Your Information and de-identify it either by combining it with information about other individuals (aggregating Your Information with information about other individuals), or by removing characteristics (such as your name) that make the information personally identifiable to you (de-identifying Your Information). We reserve the right to share, loan, rent, sell, or otherwise disclose such information to third parties at any time, for any lawful purpose, without notice or compensation to you.
You must be at least 13 years of age to register with or use certain portions of the Services. The Services are not intended for children under 13 years of age. No one under 13 years of age may provide any personally identifiable information to or on the Services. We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under 13. If you believe that we may have any information from or about a child, please contact us at [email protected]
We offer publicly accessible interactive media through our Services. To request removal of Your Information from our community forum, contact us at [email protected]. In some cases, we may not be able to remove Your Information, in which case we will let you know if we are unable to do so and why.
Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information
We strive to provide you with choices regarding the personally identifiable information you provide to us. Below are some mechanisms that provide you with control over certain information:
- Email Offers from Us. If you do not wish to receive email offers or newsletters from us, you can opt out of receiving email information from us (other than emails related to the completion of your registration, correction of user data, change of password and other similar communications essential to your transactions through our Services) by using the unsubscribe process at the bottom of the email.
- Accessing and Correcting Personally Identifiable Information. If a portion of our Services allows you to create an account with us, then you can review and update Your Information by logging into that portion of our Services, visiting your account profile page and making changes. We will retain Your Information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services and as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
- Log Files. Various browsers may offer their own management tools for removing HTML5 Storage LSOs.
- Online Behavioral Advertising. If you wish to not have third party advertisers collect your information for the purpose of serving you interest-based ads, you may opt-out by clicking here. In addition, certain third-party advertising networks that deliver behavioral advertising are members of the Network Advertising Initiative (“NAI”). You can prevent NAI member companies from collecting preference data about you by clicking here and following the NAI’s directions. You may also opt-out of Google Adsense’s use of its cookie by visiting Google’s Advertising and Privacy page. Please note that these opt-outs do not opt you out of being served ads. You will continue to receive generic ads.
Information You Disclose to Third Parties
Links to Third-Party Websites
Third Party Widgets and Plug-ins
Operation of our Services in the United States
Our Services are operated in the United States. If you are located in the European Union, Canada or elsewhere outside of the United States, please be aware that any information you provide to us will be transferred to the United States. By using our Services or providing us with Your Information, you consent to this transfer.
If you have questions or concerns about our privacy practices or wish to make a request regarding Your Information, please contact us at [email protected]
Special Notification for California Residents — Your California Privacy Rights
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA“), California residents have certain rights around SeniorHousingNet’s collection, use, and sharing of their personal information.
SeniorHousingNet collects various categories of personal information when you use the Service, including identifiers, commercial information, internet or other electronic network or device activity information, and geolocation data. A more detailed description of the information SeniorHousingNet collects and how we use it is provided above in Information We Collect and Receive About You and How We Use Information. Furthermore, the section How We Disclose Information describes the categories of third parties with whom we may share personal information, and what information may be shared under different circumstances.
If you are a resident of California, you have the right to request to know what personal information has been collected about you, and to access that information. You also have the right to request deletion of your personal information, though exceptions under the CCPA may allow SeniorHousingNet to retain and use certain personal information notwithstanding your deletion request. You may send your request for access to that information or request deletion by email to [email protected] We will not discriminate against you for exercising your rights under the CCPA. An agent may submit a request on your behalf, but you must verify that your agent is authorized to do so.
Separate from the CCPA, California’s Shine the Light law gives California residents the right to ask companies what personal information they share with third parties for those third parties’ direct marketing purposes.
Such requests must be submitted to us at [email protected]housingnet.com or in writing at:
ATTN: Legal Department
P.O. Box 32217
Charlotte, NC 28232
California privacy rights requests must include the reference “Request for California Privacy Information” on the subject line and in the body of the message and must include the email address or mailing address, as applicable, for us to send our response. This request may be made no more than once per calendar year. We reserve the right not to respond to requests submitted other than to the address specified above.
Special Notification for Oregon Residents — Your Oregon Privacy Rights
- We will not share your referral information with a senior living facility or marketing affiliate without obtaining affirmative consent from you for each instance of sharing the information.
- We will not refer you to a facility in which our employees or immediate family members of our employees has an ownership interest.
- We will not contact you if you request in writing that we stop contacting you.
- We will provide you access to our records for your referral information within 30 calendar days of your request of those records.
- We will maintain your records for a minimum of three years after we refer you to senior living communities and are no longer receiving referral services from us.
- On our website, we include a link to a state agency website listing complaints concerning facilities, here.