Holiday Gift Ideas for a Senior Who Lives in Assisted Living
The holiday season is upon us once again! It’s a time when families gather to celebrate and enjoy one another’s company. For seniors who live in assisted living, the season can be especially festive. Assisted living communities are usually lively, jolly places. Holiday activities, ranging from choir concerts to cookie decorating, abound.
Senior citizen assisted living communities often host many family gatherings. Most communities have private dining rooms and common areas residents can reserve for these types of family events.
If your holiday party will include a gift exchange, we have a few ideas for you.
Holiday Gift Ideas for Senior Loved Ones
- Subscription to their favorite magazine
- Fruit of the month club
- Gift cards to online stores, like Amazon or Zappos
- Puzzles and board games
- Cozy slippers with a nonskid sole or a plush robe
- Bird feeder, bird bath, and food
- Luxurious soaps and lotions
- Large-print alarm or wall clock
- Gift certificates to local department stores
- Craft kits or art supplies
- Comfortable clothing or pajamas
- Gift card for the assisted living community’s beauty shop
- Custom calendar with favorite family photos and important dates
- Gift cards to favorite local restaurants
- iPad or another tablet device
Experience Gifts: What Money Can’t Buy
Quality time with loved ones may be the best holiday treat. Encourage each family member to come up with an “experience” gift to give to your aging loved one at their assisted living community’s holiday party.
A few suggestions could be:
- Computer or iPad lessons
- Movie night at the local theater
- Manicure or facial at a local spa
- Lunch at a local restaurant followed by shopping
- Fishing at a local park next summer
- Trip to the local zoo in the spring
- Monthly date to a popular coffee house
- Group outing to a local sports center or museum
The bottom line is the best gift for an older family member may be your love and attention.
Searching for Senior Citizen Assisted Living
If your family will be reuniting at a senior’s private home for the first time in months, you may be surprised to see the changes in them. Even though your loved one has been telling you they are fine when you talk on the phone, they may be struggling. It’s a reality many adult children and family members experience during the holidays.
This is where one of our experienced senior care advisors can help. From answering questions about senior care to researching local assisted living communities that meet your needs, our team members can be your partner in the search.
Our advice is always free for seniors and their families, so call us today at 800-304-8061 to get started!
SENIOR CARE RESOURCES
4 Myths Older Adults Believe About Senior Living
Apr 27, 2020.3 min read
Helping an Introvert Transition to Senior Living
Apr 20, 2020.3 min read
Questions to Help You Determine If It’s Time to Downsize
Feb 19, 2020.3 min read